Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Fictions of Grandpa Harry: Off to the Local Mosque

I'm not sure what Grandma would think about it all, as she was a fairly tolerant sort - declaring that margarine was almost as good as butter in her estimation, and that hippies could always be trusted if you kept an eye on them - but Grandpa Harry seems serious about becoming a Muslim.

"If it's good for Cat Stevens," he said the other day, plumping a bag of groceries down on the kitchen table, "then it's good enough for me."

"Er, I didn't realize he had such an influence on you."

"Built my first whiskey still coz of that feller. Bottled it and called it Moonshadow Moonshine. Why, I put your dad through college with the extra money. I've a soft spot for old Cat. They call him Sufi-something or another these days."

Grandpa waxed on about the benefits of moonshining and subsequent tax avoidance while he unloaded his groceries. A case of Sam Adams, bacon, and an extra large slab of cheddar cheese.

"Nothing like a wedge of cheese," he said, sawing off a hunk. He stuffed it in his mouth. "Alright. I'm off to the mosque for evening prayers and some feller is gonna give a talk about Wasabism, though I don't know why they're talking about that new-fangled Japanese cuisine in a mosque. It beats all. Pancakes and bacon for dinner?"

"You're doing what?"

But the front door had already slammed shut.

As I was saying, Grandpa Harry seems fairly serious about it all. Anyway, the bacon might bring him back around. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, Is Grandpa Harry a personification of the GOP?

10:35 AM  
Blogger ToadRocket said...

Heh... could be, at least in this instance. The GOP is pretty schizophrenic in terms of how they view Islam. However, I'll be using Grandpa Harry as a catch-all fiction for dealing with whatever my brain feels like tackling.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home