Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Interesting Case of the Aussies

I find myself becoming more and more interested in Australia as a culture these days. They are refreshingly outspoken and candid in their views, whether it be a government minister or a Catholic prelate or the average man on the street. At least, that's the quality that comes out in press stories these days.
When you think of that quality in light of how Australia has gone off to war several times now on behalf of other countries (the World Wars, Iraq, Afghanistan), there's a pleasing sense of aptness there. Candidness and sturdy duty: they fit well together.

I once spent about ten days down in eastern Australia, working on a BBC documentary (actually, two documentaries: one about asthma and one about a rather famous and retired BBC personality named Peter France). Australia struck me as a more laid-back and friendly version of my home state California.

Perhaps I'm reading the whole thing wrong, but there really is something impressive about the Aussies. Particularly when you realize the culture has such shabby roots in terms of being a veritable prison colony.

If anyone can recommend a book on Aussies that explains them, let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home