Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Pointless Family Photo of the Year


Okay, okay - I know I am being a cretin in terms of cultural awareness, tolerance, diversity, sensitivity, lovingkindness and all of that. But...I just can't help myself with this one!

And, yeah, the image looks photoshopped.

Seriously, though, I realize that there are all levels of modesty within different societies. Pacific Islanders have one idea that they subscribe to, Eskimos have another, and my mother has a third. However, I would argue that the enforced modesty of Islam has less to do with actual issues of modesty than it does with issues of female subjugation and the idea that women are property.

I need to pipe down about Islam for a while. There are other topics, aren't there? Ravioli, organic farming, the environmentalists around here who are driving us farmers crazy, pharmaceutical plots to rule the world, Hollywood (I'm really tempted to start posting trailer reviews), God, and, of course, any fine book that wanders past my eye.

Ah, books. People should read more, spend more time on their porches (where have all the porches gone?), raise tomatoes in their gardens, and, (well, you fill in the blank)______________.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home